It is still in the upper 80’s here in NC right now-perfect lemonade stand weather. My husband and I were driving toward our Saturday lunch out treat at Red Robin and passed a sweet little girl and boy with their parents sitting outside a very high traveled main street. They had picked the perfect spot to flag passing motorists and the professional signage on the stand was so bright and inviting, we had to stop. I told my husband to turn around and go back, I can’t see a lemonade stand and not stop, so we turned around and parked the car.
Unfortunately, I did not get a picture, I was too busy talking to the excited kids happy about doing something for another person. The kid’s stand was to honor a child at their grade school who was fighting a cancer diagnosis so he could get better and come back to school. For those of you not familiar with Alex’s Lemonade stand*, it is a Mission created in the vision of, Alexandra “Alex” Scott to raise moneyu for research and raise awareness of childhood cancer.
Lemonade stands teach children:
- Making change
- Counting money
- Budgeting: raw material needed and cost to produce a product
- Business savvy– creating something of need out of nothing but your imagination & hard work
- Profit: final price of how much product costs vs. raw material
- Attention Grabber: Professional inviting organized booth
- Incentive offered: increase sales by offering add on’s such as cookies, water, etc.
- Advertise: flyers, word of mouth, maybe even a social media blast
- Take-away: have your customers tell their friends about you stand by handing them a flyer
- Teaches giving or sharing your money
Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF) emerged from the front yard lemonade stand of cancer patient Alexandra “Alex” Scott (1996-2004). At the age of 4, Alex announced that she wanted to hold a lemonade stand to raise money to help find a cure for all children with cancer. Since Alex held that first stand, the Foundation bearing her name has evolved into a national fundraising movement, complete with thousands of volunteers across the country carrying on her legacy of hope. To date, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, a registered 501(c)3 charity, has raised more than $75 million toward fulfilling Alex’s dream of finding a cure, funding over 375 research projects nationally.
Take a pic of your stand and become a social media darling @ #futuredoll!